Monday, May 30, 2016

Grand Adventure 2016 Home Page

There's so much to write about our Grand Adventure I decided to give the trip it's own "home page." I'll add links to the posts here as I get around to writing them.

Link to the overall post (showing the mileage and other numbers)

Our Adventure Day by Day
I debated about whether to write detailed posts on our adventures, but decided I wanted them on the blog so I'm afraid you'll have to endure them.

Planning and Preparation for a Grand Adventure

The Down and Dirty Guide to Camping with Kids: How to Plan Memorable Family Adventures and Connect Kids to Nature by Helen Olsson is a fantastic resource for planning camping trips with kids. I highly recommend it. I created pages of checklists, all based originally on the ones available in this book. Most of the book focuses on shorter camping trips, though, and many long-term camping articles and posts online assume you're in an RV rather than tent camping, so here are a few ideas I might expand into actual posts on preparing for a long tent camping trip with four children.

  • Clothing for six for a month - prairie, mountains, desert, rainforest, tide pools, cities, hiking, swimming
  • Feeding six with a camp stove and a cooler
  • Keeping clean at a campground
  • Washing dishes at a campground
  • Staying unplugged and sane on long drives between campgrounds
  • Junior Ranger program - Fantastic or a Hassle?
Am I missing anything?