Wednesday, July 16, 2014

June 2014 Book Reports

Prodigy: A Legend Novel by Marie Lu is a young adult dystopian novel, the sequel to Legend. There's nothing amazing here; it's pretty standard fare. I read this to review it for another website. (library copy)

The Hidden Power of Kindness: A Practical Handbook for Souls Who Dare to Transform the World, One Deed at a Time by Lawrence Lovasik. I've linked to the review. (inter-library loan)

Something Other than God by Jennifer Fulwiler. I've linked to the review. (library copy)

Raising Henry: A Memoir of Motherhood, Disability, and Discovery by Rachel Adams is a book written about her second son, born unexpectedly with Down syndrome. For the most part, I found it a touching memoir, honest about her mixed feelings regarding her son. It's odd to me someone can be nearly certain she would have aborted her son if she had known of his condition, be incredibly delighted with him now that he is here, and yet have no qualms about increasing testing so other women can avoid life with a child just like hers. (library copy)

The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw by Christopher Healy. I've linked to the review. (library copy)

Awakening and Rebellion by Karen Sandler are the second and third books in the Tankborn series. I read them to review them for another website. I was disappointed in the prominence of same gender couples in the second and, especially, the third books. (library copies)

The Golden Goblet by Eloise Jarvis McGraw is one of the books First Son will be reading next year. I had considered it for a family read-aloud, but I think it might be a little too much for the girls: child abuse, abandonment, threat of death, and a scary trek through a tomb. I think First Son will be fine reading it in fifth grade and it's full of interesting ancient Egyptian life as well as courage and friendships. (copy from PaperBackSwap.com)

Books in Progress (and date started)